* driftglass takes on dbrooks. and wins. try this for a sample: "Of course, a Quisling like Brooksie knows perfectly well that his Party is the premeditated murderer of comity and democracy, and all of his flaccid prose exists solely to allow inbred WalMart Republicans can poke their stinky, webbed digits at a “smart guy” and say to themselves, “See. Even that thar faggy elitist sez ahm right!”" (link)
* "The Pentagon's first public relations contract with Lincoln was awarded in 2004 for about $5 million with the stated purpose of accurately informing the Iraqi people of American goals and gaining their support. But while meant to provide reliable information, the effort was also intended to use deceptive techniques, like payments to sympathetic "temporary spokespersons" who would not necessarily be identified as working for the coalition, according to a contract document and a military official.
In addition, the document called for the development of "alternate or diverting messages which divert media and public attention" to "deal instantly with the bad news of the day."" (link)
wow. we always knew they 'diverted' media attention - but its still quite startling to see it in writing.
* xymphora calls for the withdrawal of the mehlis report (link)
* the beeb is reporting that the ten dead marines actually died 24 hours earlier, but the announcement was withheld so it didnt put a damper on Blinky's speech. is nothing beyond them?
* "Justifying secret U.S. concentration camps, Rice said, "you can't allow somebody to commit the crime before you detain them. Because if they commit the crime, thousands of innocent people die." Were we not committed to democracy, we could have applied her principle to the Bush Cabinet in January, 2001, before they committed their crimes. Many innocents who have died would still be alive." (link)
*simbaud snagged an interview with the director of Homecoming! congrats bnvlntdcttr (the movie is free on showtime this weekend)