Wednesday, March 15, 2006

bloggy stuff

* i asked earlier whether i should redesign the site. i got two responses

gilda: "Please offer a dark-on-light option. (I tried to post this in comments, but nothing came up.)"

damien: "The white text on blue is also a pleasant alternative to the usual coloring."

firstly, apologies to those who have tried to post comments unsuccessfully these last few day - Blogger has been spazzing massively. i try to respond to all comments - so if you havent received one , please let me know, again. (i've got three problems at the mo - Blogger is misbehaving (and comments might disappear), and my computer keeps crashing, and my time is short - so apologies to everyone)

to gilda's point - does anyone know how i can offer a dark-on-light option? do i need to change the template completely? or can i offer that as an option?

would it help if the text was larger? do any of you know how to change that? or to give that option? (my first internet biz was nearly a decade ago - but html scares me.)

i took damien's advice and got rid of the archive links - and i dared fuck around with *some* html and widened the main column - so hopefully that will make it easier to read. i checked it in a couple of browsers and it seems ok (although different in each) - let me know if you have any probs seeing it (ftr - i mostly read in opera, and post in firefox)

lemme know.

update - damien says: "Personally, I still like the narrower format (it's easier to scan). But whatever you prefer."

i dont care in the slightest! i dont have to read it. let's try it as it is for a couple of days - and if you still think the narrower format is better, then we can go back to that. remind me over the weekend if i havent changed/mentioned it.

lemme know

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

i'm w/damian--the narrow columns are more readable AFAIC. hth

Anonymous said...

Lukery, I'm experimenting, like you. But you can use the color codes from here and blogger has a help facility.

As I say, I think the white on blue is a pleasant contrast. Most people can change their own browsers easily if they want black on white or some other pattern. Personally, I think you're original style was excellent. It was uncluttered - allowing people to focus on the ideas - and it had a nice 'edgy' feel to it.

Also, I didn't intend you to exclude the archives altogether (others may wish to access particular months). But even that is a minor matter. I wouldn't get caught up in changing anything, Lukery. And I particularly encourage you to keep the narrower width.

Have you thought about changing authors?? Try drinking more!

Anonymous said...

changing authors?

you wanna get rid of me?

i'll go back to the original column width tomorrow unless i hear from people who actually like it...

Anonymous said...

"Have you thought about changing authors??" - that was a joke about how far you might have to go to satisfy some people. No criticism in any way intended. (Ive gotta get better jokes!) Cheers.

Anonymous said...

a change is as good as a holiday - you like holidays dont you???

perhaps i could get some godbloggers on here - like kevin drum did over the weekend...