Sunday, March 19, 2006

they can shoot you for fun.

* in case you hadnt realised yet, you are being spied on - Elizabeth de la Vega provides some details. btw - larisa was on the radio the other day and the host asked if the radministration was spying on people - emails, phone calls and whatnot. larisa quoted someone close to russel tice, or someone close to the spying program, or something, and said something like
"actually - it's more invasive than that. what could be more invasive than emails/phonecalls? one word: 'biometrics'"
i dont even know what it means to be spied on using biometrics on a mass scale - but there you go.

with that in mind, here's the instantly famous U.S. News & World Report's article on secret, warrantless physical searches - that means your home - and/or your attorney's home - and/or your mum's home.

Georgia10 reminds us of abugonzales' pre-clarification testimony:
SCHUMER: ... We talked before about the legal theory that you have, under AUMF [authority to use military force]. And I had asked you that under your legal theory, can the government, without ever going to a judge or getting a warrant, search an American's home or office. ...

GONZALES: I'm not suggesting that it is different, quite frankly. I would like the opportunity, simply, to think...

GONZALES: I'm sorry. I'm not saying that it would be different. I would simply like the opportunity to contemplate over it and give you an answer.[...]

SCHUMER: Now, here's the next question I have: Has the government done this? Has the government searched someone's home, an American citizen, or office, without a warrant since 9/11, let's say?

GONZALES: To my knowledge, that has not happened under the terrorist surveillance program, and I'm not going to go beyond that.

SCHUMER: I don't know what that -- what does that mean, under the terrorist surveillance program? The terrorist surveillance program is about wiretaps. This is about searching someone's home. It's different.

So it wouldn't be done under the surveillance program. I'm asking you if it has been done, period.

GONZALES: But now you're asking me questions about operations or possible operations, and I'm not going to get into that, Senator.
my point here, however, is not to remind you that you can be spied on, or that your premises can be secretly searched. the point is that the maladministration has expressly stated that they can do anything. literally. they can shoot you, or me, or harold whittington for fun, if they want. literally. their current argument appears to give the fig-leaf-cover that it ought be at least somewhat related to the war-on-terror but that is meaningless.

they can shoot you for fun.

No comments: