Saturday, August 05, 2006

kathleen rocks. again.

* josh:
"It now seems almost like a given that Joe Lieberman will lose his struggle for the Democratic nomination next Tuesday. But his fall is so precipitous and the possible margin of his defeat so large, that it now seems increasingly questionable whether he'll even appear on the ballot in November, let alone win reelection to his seat. Yes, could have walked away with it as an independent had a hypothetical race been held a month ago. He may even lead in one today. But as Mark Schmitt's been saying for a while the negative momentum created by a clear defeat in the primary will have a catalyzing effect. I really doubt that more than a smattering of Dems will rally to his independent bid. Suddenly he'll be branded as a loser. And the pressure to get out will be fierce. If Joe goes down, I think the day he sealed his fate was when he decided to hedge his bets and not abide by the results of the Democratic primary."

* a couple of months ago, I wrote:
"* and via kathleen, you can sign up for zogby's interactive polls here - and help drag the stats.
Kathleen: "There's an opportunity to comment, so I wrote and said they didn't have a category bad enough to express my opinion of Bush, so why not add "Horrible" to the choices?"
Kathleen has an update:
Speaking of polls, you'll appreciate this. As you know, when I first took the Zogby poll, I wrote to complain that they needed a category of horrible. The second time I took one, I wrote and said that if they had excellent ,for his job performance they needed to balance that with an opposite choice. Poor doesn't quite cut it, so the third poll I took had a "very unfavorable'" as a choice. Yessss, I'm waiting to see the results of that one.
ummmm. kathleen rocks.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Speaking further of polls, would you like a little backstory on David Broder's story and comments on Joe Duffey losing to Republican candidate Lowell Weicker, in a three way race in 1970?

At the time that I was working for Gene McCrthy, Abe Riicoff, Joe Duffey,Caucus of CT.Dems, I was an affluent housewife and mother in Westport,CT. My husband was a New York City Disc Jockey and Newscaster at a major radio station. He also was a T.V.commercial announcer at a time when t.v. was coming into its fore as a medium of influence in marketing of products and candidates.He did so many campaign spots for Senator Jacob javits, I used to say our house was the house that Jale built. I had anb insder's view of the process of selling products and candidates.

At the same time, I was continuing my undergraduate work at Sarha lswrence studying amoung other things, a course clled Mass Persuasion,taught by charles Siepman, National President of the ACLU and had just completed a 13 segment Omnibus odcumentary series on the Consitution. he was also a social Psychologist who cracked Nazi codes.

The course covered brainwashing techniques,known as marketing/propoganda.

The whole science of polling was new in ublic opinion, Frank Gallop was the only one of national note and his polls were very hsallow, measuring only the top 10% of consicousness, the part that changes with daily events. In the field, there was one who was considered the best, Tully Plesser, in Cambridge, MA. for in depth polling.

I mentioned Plesser to JoeDuffey and we contaced him he came up and met with us. We made an agreement for him to do our polling, 50 big ones. I was happy.

Then big change.We got a call Pleeser had been Nixon's pollster and he forbid Plesser to work with us.

Duffey's opponent, Lowell Weikcer had the benefit of Republican polling data, then went on to be the one who called for the Watergate Invewstigation. He who laughs last, laughs, best.